VMware Communities
yxngvaine
Contributor
Contributor

File not found i think i am missing a vmdk file how do i get it back?

File not found: C:\Users\Vincent Era\OneDrive\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2019\Windows Server 2019.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location.

yxngvaine_0-1662685226375.png

yxngvaine_1-1662685290200.png

I don't know how I lost the Microsoft server 2019-s005 but I don't know how to fix this pls help as I don't want to lose all of my work as i am currently studying right now.

VMware Workstation cannot find the virtual disk "C:\Users\Vincent Era\OneDrive\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2019\Windows Server 2019.vmdk". Verify the path is valid and try again.

The system cannot find the file specified

Cannot open the disk 'C:\Users\Vincent Era\OneDrive\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2019\Windows Server 2019.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

First off, IMMEDIATELY STOP putting your virtual machines in a folder which is synchronized by OneDrive... this is a recipe for certain disaster!!!

Restore from a backup, or try to locate the file in OneDrive's recycle bin.  Make a copy of the entire folder and put it somewhere else on your actual hard drive.

If you still can't locate the missing file and have issues starting the VM, post back attaching a full file listing of the directory showing filenames and sizes; the vmware.log file; and the text descriptor file which is the start of the virtual hard disk file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

OneDrive is known for being the cause of such issues.

It won't bring back the data, but you could replace the missing file with a copy of e.g. "Microsoft server 2019-s006.vmdk" which - according to the file's size, and time stamp - looks like a stub (only containing the required metadata) file.

I'd recommend that after replacing the file, you either backup the VM, or at least take a temporary snapshot before you power on the VM.

André

0 Kudos