VMware Communities
jasonsenior
Contributor
Contributor

Guess OS UI freezes

Workstation 17.5.0 pro on either Windows 10 or Windows 11 host.

Ubuntu 22.04 guest.

Seems to happen when trying to CTRL-C or CTRL-V to copy/paste. The UI just stops responding to mouse and keyboard input. The guest is not truly frozen. The cursor is still flashing, the clock is still keeping time. It's just not responding to any input. 

This is absolutely killing my productivity. I wish I could bill VMware for the lost productivity. This needs to get resolved. This product is supposed to be enhancing my productivity, not destroying it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

What about VMware tools? Have you installed them?

0 Kudos
dorioo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I think I'm experiencing the same thing and I think this other thread is also experiencing the same. The link below is for a band aid to try to help. Changing the vmx file to include those changes has helped give me more time before it freezes. Some people have commented that it fixed it for them permanently. Hope it helps you while we wait for a more permanent fix. 

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-17-5-0-enhanced-keyboard-driver...

0 Kudos
jasonsenior
Contributor
Contributor

Of course.

0 Kudos
jasonsenior
Contributor
Contributor

It says it might make my key repeat problem even worse and that problem happens to me even more often than the freezes. BTW, it just froze on me and it wasn't from copy and paste, the UI just froze. Man my productivity is in the toilet today. VMware Workstation is actually worsening the quality of my life.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

try the workaround, it seems to have helped many folks. It certainly can't make things worse, could it?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos