VMware Communities
sohosources
Contributor
Contributor

Guest and host on separate ethernet networks, isolated - how?

Hi, gang:

VM Semi-newbie here...

I'm running Workstation 6 on an XP host that's connected to the internet through my ethernet/cable modem (totally standard).

I run a tight ship on my network in an attempt to keep my productivity PC uninfected, etc.

My roommate has a separate cable modem connection that he shares via 802.11g. He doesn't care if people in range DL music, run bit torrent, etc, which is fine by me! Hehehe. Whatever doesn't kill my PC makes it stronger....

To access his "free for all" internet, I'd like to spawn a tiny Puppy Linux guest and connect to his network via an "ethernet to 802.11" box made by Engenius (tested, works fine hardware-wise).

The question is: can I keep the Linux VM \*completely* isolated from the host PC? MAC addresses and everything?

When I'm connected to his "garbage net," I don't want my host PC visible on the VM's net.

If it won't work with a standard pci ethernet adapter, will it work with a USB wireless adapter or some other hardware?

Any help will be appreciated.

--sohosources

0 Kudos
2 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the VMware Workstation forum.

Oliver

[url=http://www.vmware.com/community/ann.jspa?annID=84

]VMTN User Moderator[/url]

0 Kudos
pcdiks
Contributor
Contributor

Your host needs a connection to his network, with a separate network card. You can than specify that your VM should use this network card.

But because your host is also connected to his network, there is a possibility that your machine is visible. Put a firewall on this network card to prevent unwanted incoming traffic.

0 Kudos