VMware Communities
apesa
Contributor
Contributor

Help getting my monitor configured in Linux guest

Hello, I have used VMWare on mjy desktop before with great success. I now have a newly installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit host environment with 4GB RAM and plkenty of drive and CPU.. I am running VMWare Workstation and I have installed an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit guest and its running fine except for the monitor. I can't seem to get the monitor conifgured from the host settings correctly. I want to use as high a res as possible in the guest, 1280x800 at the least and enable the 3D effects in Ubuntu. I configured the display settings in the Host for "Accelrated 3D Graphics" but when I start the guest it trys to load the monitor configuration but fails with the follwoing message.

Could not apply the start configuration for Monitors

Error: Line 1: Char 1, Whitespace.

It appears the config file is blank. I know this has worked for me in the past and Oracle VBox will support these ubuntu grpahics effects. So anyone out there come accross this in the past. Here is my environment:

Host: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Guest: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit

I have the correct bois settings for 64 bit support in guest

0 Kudos
2 Replies
uy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you familiar with linux installation of vmware tools?

I think you need that to see displays performing more ideally.

You need to have built-essential package installed 1st then install the vmware tools.

$ sudo apt-get install -y build-essential

vmware.com have docs online about installing vmware tools in linux.

You need NOT configure the guest's monitor at all, once you have vmwaretools installed and running nicely it can auto-FIT guest to host displayes.

u.y.
0 Kudos
apesa
Contributor
Contributor

yes, very familiar with Unix and Linux. I had done all the build configuration such as headers and Linux dev tools first thing once I had an OS. Using the scripts in /usr/bin I have uninstalled and manually reinstaled all the components with success. I am now just running vmware-config-tools.pl to get everything compiled and that is where it's failing. See below. Also, I have seen this very same issue related to linux guests, tools install and vmwgfx. I feel it is related to the kernel lib. I was a Vbox user but need a better supported long term virtual solution. I am demoing this and if I can't support a 64 bit Ubuntu guest (Android Dev) then I will be back on the Oracle side until this gets resolved. I rarely have trouble compiling Kernel support in Linux without finding a solution.

Detected Xorg X server version 1.7.6.

hal: unrecognized service

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux ubuntu 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:52:38 UTC 2011 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-32-generic root=UUID=264ffec8-2c81-481c-8561-4124d914c584 ro quiet splash
Build Date: 10 December 2010  05:52:57PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.5 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
     Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
     to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
     (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
     (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(++) Log file: "/tmp/vmware-config0/XF86ConfigLog.16201", Time: Thu Jun 16 14:25:04 2011
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "vmwgfx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) vmware: Please ignore the above warnings about not being able to to load module/driver vmwgfx
error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)

X is running fine with the new config file.

The file /usr/share/gnome/autostart/vmware-user.desktop that this program was
about to install already exists.  Overwrite? [yes] error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)
  ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

0 Kudos