VMware Communities
jonniehack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there - Newbie Here

Hello

Newbie here just setting up virtual environments for studying purposes. (70-290)

I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

I have set up 2 machines in VMWare Workstation.

1: XP Pro

IP: 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (My Router)

DNS1: 194.168.4.100 (Copied from the router status page, I'm assuming these DNS addresses are from the router/ISP)

DNS2: 194.168.8.100 (Copied from the router status page, I'm assuming these DNS addresses are from the router/ISP)

2: Windows Server 2003

IP: 192.168.1.3

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (My Router)

DNS1: (Copied from the router status page, I'm assuming these DNS addresses are from the router/ISP)

DNS2: (Copied from the router status page, I'm assuming these DNS addresses are from the router/ISP)

I have set this to be a Domain Controller using dcpromo and following the steps in my book

I have set the domain as "home.network"

HOST MACHINE: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit

IP: 192.168.1.5

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (My Router) (192.168.1.2 is the IP of my home network printer)

I managed to get a bit of connectivity between the machines. For example the XP machine can ping the server/printer/router, and log onto the domain (I think) but not the host machine. The Server though cannot ping the XP machine or the host machine. Which is my first question - Why?

And my second question, Its clear that my XP machine can "see" the server machine as, for example, if I add a new user in AD on the server machine, lets say "JOHN SMITH" and set the password so that it must be changed the next time the user logs on. I can go to the XP machine log on as John Smith, it prompts me to change the password but then says "Domain home.network cannot be found"

Any Ideas? I am still learning and am fairly new to all this so please be gentle. Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

. The Server though cannot ping the XP machine or the host machine. Which is my first question - Why?

By name or by IP? Did you turn the XP firewall OFF?

"Domain home.network cannot be found"

DNS settings for your server should be the SERVER IP. Did you enable DNS SERVICES on the server? the router has no idea what "home.network" is, so since you have a domain ALL communications should be routed through the server, and not the network router.

You should pick up a book on Windows 2003/2008 that will help you.

0 Kudos
jonniehack
Contributor
Contributor

I have a book and am working through it but cannot find anything that answers my questions. The book does not assume you are using VMWare Workstation it assumes you have a physical server and a physical client computer - which I dont.

I have set the IP settings on the Server2003 machine to as they were but changed the DNS server to 192.168.1.3 which is the servers IP address. I have also changed the DNS server on the XP machine to 192.168.1.3, only now when I try to log onto the XP machine I receive a message of The domain controller must be down as the domain cannot be accessed.

I'm pretty sure the server is set to be a DNS server as that was one of the exercises out of the book - however if not could you point me int he right direction?

I'm thinking it'll be some form of VM Networking issue, perhaps I havent got the Virtual Network Editor set up correctly?? Not sure.

With DNS IP's set as you suggested the server can now resolve 192.168.1.4 to the XP machine name, but still cannot ping it so theres some sort of connectivity problems somewhere.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The book does not assume you are using VMWare Workstation it assumes you have a physical server and a physical client computer - which I dont.

Doesn't matter whether or not you're using physical machines or virtual machines you still have to configure things properly and the bottom line, base on the information you've provided, is the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter should be configured as Bridged and then if they can connect to the Router then the rest really has nothing to do with Workstation per se but had to do with you properly configuring domains, user accounts, services, firewall, etc. and none of which really are Workstation issues because virtual or physical the requirements in these areas are the same.

0 Kudos