VMware Communities
jkard883
Contributor
Contributor

How to Debug with Visual Studio 2011 (F10: Step, F11: Step Into)

Hi Friends,

I just got handed a project that has to be done in C#, and I'm running the latest build of VM Ware on a 2011 iMac. I'm running Windows 7 and have Visual Studio 2011 running.

The problem I'm having is the Mac F10 and F11 do not work to step code when debugging. I've tried different key configurations to try to get it to work, but it always defaults to what the Mac F-Keys do. So I am stepping by hitting the "step" button in the Visual Studio IDE which is very cumbersome.

Is there a way to have VM Ware treat the keyboard as a PC keyboard when working in the virtual environment?

Thanks
Jay

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a way to have VM Ware treat the keyboard as a PC keyboard when working in the virtual environment?

VMware Fusion (menu) > Preferences... > Keyboard & Mouse > Mac OS Shortcuts > Enable Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts

jkard883
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that didn't seem to work.  When it's selected or not selected, when I try to F10, it just toggles the Mac volume when I was expecting it to step the code.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I had a Dell Keyboard plugged into my MacBook Pro when testing that and that was the only setting change necessary, so here are some additional steps you can take.

On a Mac Keyboard you can press the "fn" key, e.g fn+F10, in conjunction with changing the aforementioned VMware Fusion Preference or change one of the OS X Keyboard Preferences.

Under OS X System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > check the "Use all F1, F2, etc. ..." check box.

0 Kudos
jkard883
Contributor
Contributor

Oh! Cool, so if I switch out the keyboard to a PC one, it will work as you originally stated? I hate the iMac keyboard so was gonna throw it out anyway and replace with a natural keyboard from Microsoft, so if you are saying that will work, then that would be great.

In the meantime, I'll do the "fn" with the Preference changes you recommend.

Thanks!
Jay

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes a PC keyboard works okay, not 100% however for what it doesn't work with I just use the built-in keyboard on the MacBook Pro.  I hook the PC keyboard up when I'm in the office.  What doesn't work are the special functions like fn+F8 to turn on/off the back-lit keyboard because there is no fn key, those types of things.

0 Kudos
jkard883
Contributor
Contributor

Great to know, thanks again man!

0 Kudos