VMware Communities
ccpaciee
Contributor
Contributor

How to reset admin password on win 7

I installed a guest os on my computer, which is password protected.  I haven't logged into the system for a about three weeks. I inputed  a few passwords but all were when I tried to log in today. Is there any easy way to reset the password? I don't want to reinstall the os because there are several important files on that system.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The admin password for a Windows guest? That's a Windows question to be honest not a VMware one.

Make sure that the language on the keyboard is what you expect it to be.

As for accessing files on a VM for which you have no password... that's easy if it isn't encrypted.

Simply attach the disk to another VM that you do have the password from and copy the files you want. Do not do anything fancy like making snapshots while it is attached to the temporary VM.

Be also sure to _remove_ the disk again from that VM after shutting it down and be careful to just remove it from the machine and not delete it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ccpaciee
Contributor
Contributor

It seems quite complicated for me. I know a windows reset disk is capable of resetting password on a windows system. Does this work the same for windows-based VM?

0 Kudos
BerndNo
Contributor
Contributor

For VMs you can use a special boot cd or you follow this advise here: How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows Password the Easy Way

There's different ways to do this on Windows clients (regardless if it's a physical Windows or a virtual Windows).

But make sure that you check the boot sequence in the VM guest by entering the VMs BIOS during boot.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a password reset disc, then you can easily reset your password with it, if you didn't created a password reset disc, the only way is is try some password recovery tools like iSeePassword, Dicsoft and more...

but all of  them may take much time to unlock your windows.

0 Kudos
ccpaciee
Contributor
Contributor

How to make a reset disk?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You cannot make a reset disk after you lost access to the machine.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
BerndNo
Contributor
Contributor

Have you checked my link? It's easy and you only need a bootable Windows 7 ISO.

0 Kudos
Gill908
Contributor
Contributor

There are many ways available that could be used to bypass Windows password. Most of them work by using a boot media, and you need to create it from another working PC.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

Download chntpw (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor)

Bypass Windows 7 Logon Screen without Knowing or Resetting Admin Password

Before resetting your password, I suggest you make a snapshot in case you mess up the virtual machine.

0 Kudos