VMware Communities
automationman
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing the VMware disk size with Snapshots?

Using VMware 6.5 workstation. I need to expand the size of the disk image. I tried the command vdiskmanager and I cannot expand the disk size because the image has snapshots. Is there any way to expand the disk size? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd add a new disk to the VM of the capacity that you require and then image over the existing disk using your favourite imaging tool in the guest, such as Ghost or Drive SnapShot. You might be able to achieve the same effect using vmware-vdiskmanager with the -r option but I'm not sure if you will encunter the same issue as when you tried to expand it.

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>You might be able to achieve the same effect using vmware-vdiskmanager with the -r option

but I'm not sure if you will encunter the same issue as when you tried to expand it.

vmware-vdiskmanagers -r function is broken in 6.5.1 - thats a known bug.

To consolidate disks with snapshots with vmware-vdiskmanager -r you must use an older binary from WS 6.0.*

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
redbaron51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

not sure whether I have understood it right, but considering you are using Windows, what about adding a new (second) HDD and using diskpart to extend the original volume.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found the post useful please award correct/helpful points.
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

automationman,

You cannot increase the size of a VMDK that has a snapshot on it. The snapshot (child) requires the VMDK (parent) be the exact same at all times.

If you were to add a new disk and then create a software extent, that would be fine. But, if you were to EVER revert to the snapshot point, the extent would disappear because the changes were contained in the snapshot.

The short of it is ... Clone the current state of the virtual machine, then increase disk size. Or use VMware Converter to do both things at the exact same time.

However, if you need to retain the snapshot across this entire process ... that's not going to happen.

If one of these is an option, I'll help you on your way ...

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.