VMware Communities
sol10
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Solaris 10 5/08 on a WinXPsp3 Dell

Hello,

I am about to attempt to install Solaris 10 x86 64-bit update 5 (5/08) on Workstation 6.0.4 on a Dell Precision Workstation with dual quad-core Xeon E5345 processors running WinXPsp3 (32-bit). Has anyone had any luck installing and running update 5 on VMWare Workstation? Is this even worth the trouble? If anyone can provide any helpful hints or recommendations, that would be GREAT!

Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sol10
Contributor
Contributor

In particular, the host WinXPsp3 is 32-bit, but the Xeon E5345 processors are capable of handling a 64-bit OS. I want to install Solaris 10 64-bit as guest OS. I tried doing so yesterday, but only the 32-bit version of Solaris installed into a VM ("Solaris 10 64-bit"), with a message saying that either my system isn't capable of 64-bit OS, or that I have 64-bit disabled. Should it be possible to install 64-bit Solaris with my configuration, or does the host OS have to 64-bit, or would I have to somehow configure my host OS or processors to handle 64-bit?

Thank you.....

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you have to enable AMD V or Intel VT technologie inside your systems bios to enable support for 64-bit guest oses.

but it should be possible, installed it last week

sol10
Contributor
Contributor

Great. Thank you very much for the info. Will my 32-bit WinXP be effected in some way after I enable 64-bit in the BIOS? I assume that I can still run the 32-bit WinXP with 64-bit enabled in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you have to enable it to support 64-bit guest oses.

i never had any problems with it when i was running windows xp 32-bit

0 Kudos
sol10
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent! Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos