VMware Communities
xPat201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Is USB *2.0* Support better in Workstation 8?

I see lots of threads about USB3 support in Workstation 8, but couldn't find anything about whether the prior problems with pre-USB3 devices freezing up VMware. I would buy the upgrade, but I'm literally SCARED to make it worse!

I use workstation to contain several Win7 and WinXP VM's. Whenever my Plantronics CS50-USB (wireless Skype headset) is plugged in, VMware is at risk of freezing up at any moment. Unplugging the Plantronics device always cures the problem and brings VMware back to life, but it also means the headset stops recharging. So my life is a constant trade-off between a cordless phone with a dead battery and a dead VM.

Can anyone comment on whether Workstation 8 improves or degrades USB 2.0 performance? I was about to get the upgrade, but from a few of the comments in other threads, it almost sounds like the USB2 problems get worse with Workstation 8.

Thanks in advance!

xPat

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steubing
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.. Personally I had to roll back to 7.1.4 because of USB 2.0 issues. In 7.1.4 I have no problems with my VMs detecting my iPhone and iPad, but they're not detected in 8. So I think it's actually worse!

xPat201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate Steubing sharing his experience, and sorry to hear he had to roll back.

But I felt obliged to follow-up and say that Workstation 8 basically solved all my USB problems, whereas 7.1.5 did not. To anyone else who found this thread because you are having problems with WS7 VMs locking up when certain USB devices are attached, I suggest trying WS8. It solved all my problems.

xPat

0 Kudos
CHunniton
Contributor
Contributor

I tend to agree with you xPat201110141 about the USB support in Workstation 8. Been struggling with some USB Flash drives that are not detected correctly by my XP guests.

Tried on actual XP and Win7 installation and they are working fine there. Even re-created complete new VM from scratch and not working for me. Problem seems to be with Cypress AT2 and Chipsbank chipsets used in flash drive/external storage devices. Both used to work under Workstation 7.x without any issues.

Currently Cypress does not even want to connect to guest OS. It just becomes unresponsive until I remove it from the VM.

Chipsbank gets detected in XP guest as USB mass storage device but then times out with "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" message in device manager.

My Transcend flash drive and Western Digital external HDD is detected and working ok.

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For the record, WS8 solved all my USB 2.0 issues too.

0 Kudos