VMware Communities
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any other way to extract files from the virtual disk files?

I tried using VMware workstation to start the virtual machine but it says its missing a file.

Is there any other way to extract files from the virtual disk files?

0 Kudos
58 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Try decreasing the VM memory or under preferences change the memory allocation for WS.

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed the memory problem but now it says it can't open the file because its too big!

look here

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/tttt678/obig.jpg?t=1185483685

what kind of ghetto program is this?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

WS works really good...

What filesystem do you use in the host - FAT32?

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

How can it not open a file because its too large? Is it my system that is bnot up to par or is it the VM?

what is WS?

ya I think its fat32.

Under WS - memory??

how should the system allocate memory for VM?

should I select fit all vm memory into reserved host ram?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

WS = VMware W[/b]ork[b]s[/b]tation

FAT32 doesn't reliable support files bigger than 2GB.

You can convert the disk into a split 2GB disk with vmware-vdiskmanager executing the following commands (again cmd.exe in the VM folder)

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmaanger" -r "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel-000002.vmdk" -t 1 "linux.vmdk"

after that modify the vmx file and change

scsi0:0.fileName = "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel-000002.vmdk"

to

scsi0:0.fileName = "linux.vmdk"

should I select fit all vm memory into reserved host ram?

this depends of the amount of memory in the host and the memory configured for the VM

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

ok I'll try..

why are you this smart? =o/

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe because I'm working with VMware products since 2000

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

C:\Documents and Settings\Jen\Desktop\YUIO>"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Work station\vmware-vdiskmaanger" -r "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel-000002.vmdk" -t 1 "linux.vmdk"

'

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vdiskmaanger"' is not recogn ized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

the typo again in vdiskmanager ... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

lol

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

converting 2% done ;]

is this only going to let me access the 3 gig vm file? or the 800mb one also where the HD files are stored..

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

all of them - in fact both files get merged into one disk (existing of multiple files in the host)

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

This will merge the snapshot and the base .vmdk into one file.

You will need to use the "VM" -> "Settings" to remove the original virtual disk and add the new one that has been created by merging the two original disk together.

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

You will need to use the "VM" -> "Settings" to remove the original virtual disk and add the new one that has been created by merging the two original disk together

\-----

how the heck do you do that

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

this depends a lot on what the purpose of the VM is

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

all i want to do is get the files that are hold up in these vm files.

copy them to my computer than burn them.

I don't care about anything else.

I'll even pay someone to do it.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Was the net virtual disk "linux.vmdk" created?

If so, you just need to select "VM" ->"Settings" from the Workstation application menu.

Click on the hard disk in the list of virtual hardware. Use the "Remove" button to remove the current virtual disk and use the "ADD" button to browse the new virtual disk "linux.vmdk" to add this new virtual disk.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Since you are running a Linux VM on a Windows host you can't (easily) access the filesystem of the VM from the host.

Therefore start the VM and copy the files using FTP or SCP to your Windows host.

0 Kudos
JeJen
Contributor
Contributor

"Was the net virtual disk "linux.vmdk" created?

If so, you just need to select "VM" ->"Settings" from the Workstation application menu.

Click on the hard disk in the list of virtual hardware. Use the "Remove" button to remove the current virtual disk and use the "ADD" button to browse the new virtual disk "linux.vmdk" to add this new virtual disk"

\----

i tried doing that. it says the destination file system does not support large files

"Therefore start the VM and copy the files using FTP or SCP to your Windows host."

Don't know how to how to access the files using vmware workstation.

0 Kudos