VMware Communities
ODUcomputer
Contributor
Contributor

Linksys AE2500 USB Network Adapter - Not Functioning in VM

My USB network adapter, Linksys AE2500, will not function correctly with my VM(Win7, XP, Ubuntu). However, the USB works fine on the host machine.  However, my Alfa USB network adapter will work fine transitioning between the VM and Host machine.  When connecting it to the Windows XP VM it recognizes it but then in device manager gets an error message, Error Code 10 (This device cannot start) itll keep cycling it through the VM connecting and disconnecting while locking up the VM for a short amount of time.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ODUcomputer
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried to recreate with another AE2500 USB Wireless Network Adapter and experienced the same issue.

0 Kudos
ODUcomputer
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, more troubleshooting has been done, 40 views - no response.  I just purchased another USB wireless adapter - Tenda W522U and am having issues, different, but overall the same.

With the Tenda W522U adapter the VM detects the wireless USB adapter but I can not connect to any wireless networks, receiving errors such as, network is not in range anymore or just never fully authenticates(the wireless access point is right next to me and i've tried with and without security).

Overall Goal:  Have my USB wireless adapter within my virtual machine connect to my other AP.  Have been unsuccessful with Windows XP, 7, and Linux Ubuntu/Fedora.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ODUcomputer
Contributor
Contributor

Well this conversation with myself has been great, closing thread due to verdict being reached.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I also use a Alfa USB wireless device and noticed that the use inside a WS 9 VM is very unreliable - sometimes it works - sometimes it fails.
Sometimes it gets connected to a VM different from the one that I expected ....

Using USB-devices in WS 9 is no fun :smileyplain:

0 Kudos