VMware Communities
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linux 5.8 host-support like VirtualBox this year or next?

> Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.14 brings host/guest support for the Linux 5.8 stable kernel

and VMware is still sleeping as it does with every new kernel-version......
sadly the SuSE guy this time too (GitHub - mkubecek/vmware-host-modules at workstation-15.5.6 )

5.7.19 [EOL]  means you can choose between VMware or Security updates

0 Kudos
25 Replies
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"and perform automatic VM starting along with the host" worked before this "feature" existed and works after it don't exist with "vmrun -T ws start '/mnt/data/fileserver/vmware/testserver/config.vmx' nogui"

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/systemd/system/guest-testserver.service
[Unit]
Description=VMware-Guest Testserver
PartOf=vmware-guest.target
Requisite=vmware.service
After=vmware-vmnet.service network-up.service
Wants=network-up.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
Environment="LANG=C.UTF-8"
User=vmware
Group=vmware
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vmrun -T ws start '/mnt/data/fileserver/vmware/testserver/config.vmx' nogui
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/sleep 0.5
ExecReload=-/usr/bin/vmrun -T ws reset '/mnt/data/fileserver/vmware/testserver/config.vmx' nogui soft
ExecStop=-/usr/bin/vmrun -T ws stop '/mnt/data/fileserver/vmware/testserver/config.vmx' nogui soft
ExecStop=-/usr/bin/sleep 0.5
TimeoutSec=300
SuccessExitStatus=255

ProtectSystem=full
CapabilityBoundingSet=~CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL CAP_AUDIT_WRITE CAP_SYS_ADMIN CAP_SYS_BOOT CAP_SYS_PTRACE
IPAddressDeny=any
IPAddressAllow=localhost

InaccessiblePaths=-/boot
InaccessiblePaths=-/efi

[Install]
WantedBy=vmware-guest.target

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@Beerfloat wrote:

Workstation Server is needed to have access to shared VMs with different user logins, and perform automatic VM starting along with the host. Replacement for this functionality was announced as 'suspected to come back in a future version', but it hasn't yet.

Not everybody has the same needs.

A replacement is in the Tech Preview.  At least a partial replacement - I'm not sure about all of the features.

0 Kudos
Beerfloat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@loungehostmaste wrote:

"and perform automatic VM starting along with the host" worked before this "feature" existed and works after it don't exist with "vmrun -T ws start '/mnt/data/fileserver/vmware/testserver/config.vmx' nogui"

Great, you should totally do it like that.

Me, I liked when it was a checkmark in the GUI.

0 Kudos
Beerfloat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@RDPetruska wrote:
A replacement is in the Tech Preview.  At least a partial replacement - I'm not sure about all of the features.

This sounds worth checking out.

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if a GUI is the solution i want my problem back

0 Kudos
Beerfloat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Turns out the fix is only in the Windows version of VMware Workstation. Linux version is still missing the autostart option.

0 Kudos