VMware Communities
Hibooxx
Contributor
Contributor

Linux and vmware

Hello, I have installed vmware on a linux machine with the latest bunddle version available on the official site, except that I have a problem on several points:
Firstly, I can't find the usb service when I run the command: systemctl start vmware-usbarbitrator the command output says: Failed to start vmware-usbarbitrator.service: Unit vmware-usbarbitrator.service not found. Yet this service is supposed to be installed from the start?
secondly: when I want to connect my virtual machine by bridge access, it gives me an error saying that it can't find my network card: Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network '/dev/vmnet6'. More information can be found in the vmware.log file.
Failed to connect virtual device 'Ethernet0'. Followed by : Error toggling removable device: Failed to connect virtual device 'ethernet0'.
When I start the services it doesn't activate the ethernet service: ->sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start
Starting VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor done
Virtual machine communication interface done
VM communication interface socket family done
Virtual ethernet
I don't understand why there are so many problems ...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Linux distribution and version?
Workstation Pro version?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Hibooxx
Contributor
Contributor

hey scoot my distrib 6.4.0-0.deb12.2-amd64 and i install this version : VMware-Workstation-Full-17.0.2-21581411.x86_64

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

debian 12 here. Try this instead:

sudo systemctl status vmware-USBArbitrator

to see if the service is running.

0 Kudos
Hibooxx
Contributor
Contributor

ok thank you see the result of the command attached and would you have a solution for the vmware network which my eth0 is not recognized for bridge access yet I have internet from my debian host

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is your NIC a USB stick?

What do you get from: lspci | grep -i Ethernet  
I get:   00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (5) I219-LM

Does it work NAT?

0 Kudos
Hibooxx
Contributor
Contributor

hey, i see same but since I'm connected to wifi I'd like them to be able to use my network card so that I can solve my problem.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am confused. You started out by asking about the usb arbitrator, now you are saying Ethernet and WiFi. Please define your network environment. NIC is USB or PCI card or what? Connecting to local wireless AP or your provider?

What can't you do? Any error messages? Result of ip addr?

Does it work if you use NAT?

0 Kudos