VMware Communities
Ananda_Orchard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking for help with VMWare Workstation 6

I am looking for help / hints, the VMWare Workstation.

I have been working with the VMWare Workstation for at least 2 years now - first with version 5 and now with version 6.

Although I have been using it quite intensively, none of that was very complicated. In particular I did not have to create additional virtual disks for my machines, once the guest operating system was

loaded through Symantec ghost.

I am now working on a virtualization project, involving several VMWare Workstations, with shared virtual disks. The host operating systems are Windows XP Pro and Vista Business.

I hit a surprise roadblock today and lost a lot of time trying to remove it. I can't add virtual disks to my templates.

I have read very carefully all the documentation and spent a few hours browsing forums - with no success. It seems that I am doing everything by-the-book, and yet the result is not what I expected

I am trying to create additional virtual disks via the Edit Settings GUI. I also tried creating disks using the vmware-vdiskmanager.exe, and then adding them to the template.

Everything goes well, but when I power the VM up, the additional drives are not there.

Vmware-vdiskmanager.exe utility, can be used to create, reorganize and resize the virtual disks.

Although all the documentation refers to VMWare server, the utility is also provided with the Workstation.

I use it by the book and it all gives the expected results (outside of the running VM), but when I power the machine again

there is absolutely no trace of what has been done in the power-off state.

Clearly I must be doing something wrong, and this something has to be very basic. I found some postings about problems

on Vista, but whatever I am trying to do does behave same way in XP Pro too. Is there something additional I need to do

AFTER I add the vdisks to the vm to make the ghost operating system (Windows XP) recognize them?

If anyone of you has experience in this area, or could point me in the direction of a probable solution, I will be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for your any help provided,

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there something additional I need to do AFTER I add the vdisks to the vm to make the ghost operating system (Windows XP) recognize them?

You have to start disk management (in the VM), create partition(s) and format them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there something additional I need to do AFTER I add the vdisks to the vm to make the ghost operating system (Windows XP) recognize them?

You have to start disk management (in the VM), create partition(s) and format them.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this thread has been moved to the VMware Workstation forum as requested by the OP

Oliver Reeh

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos