VMware Communities
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

Lync 2010 headsets do not work in Workstation v9

I have been using the full Microsoft Lync 2010 client in a Windows 7 VM using VMware Workstation v 8 for some time now.

I have been using the Plantronics Voyager UC V2 Bluetooth and C710M USB headsets. Both are certified for Lync 2010 by Microsoft.

In Workstation v 8 they both work very well with Lync in a W7 VM and I am able to make and receive phone calls.

After upgrading to VMware workstation v 9 neither head set works. I cannot make a phone call. There is usually no error reported just no audio through the headsets. Occasionally the Lync client will report audio problems and suggest trying a different headset but that only happened a couple times.

I have tried uninstalling VMWare tools and running without and then re-installing them. It never works.

I backed down to Workstation v 8 and everything is fine again and I am able to make and receive calls.

Obviously something is broken in workstation v 9.

The Lync servers and AD environment itself are in a completely separate server environment. I use this host to run virtual workstations in various configurations for testing purposes.

The host machine has plenty of power.

Host config:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard

Intel Core I7 3930K CPU

32GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Guest config:

1 CPU, 1 core

2GB RAM

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What hardware version does your VM have? Did you try to change it?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

I set the Default hardware compatibility to Workstation 9.0 and updated the tools on existing VMs if that is what you mean.

I had the problem with the original v9 release and since then installed v9.0.1 with tools version 9.2.2, build 893683.

No change.

I recreated the problem on my laptop. It is painfully slow but the headsets work with Lync phone calls in Workstation v8 but not v9.

It appears that the microphone works because you can see the volume meter move when I talk but there is no sound in the headset.

While playing with it endlessly, switching back and forth between versions and headsets every once in a while the headset will inexplicably work once and then stop.

With v8 it always works. I never had an instance where it did not. I can move the headset between VMs and they will just pick it up and start working.

0 Kudos
gerwalt
Contributor
Contributor

Bump... Lync 2010 still doesn't work in Vmware Workstation v9.0.1.... are there no solutions to this issue?  Vmware help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

Still no joy.

I have a couple VMs that I upgraded the hardware version to 9 that now will not run in Workstation 8 because of the hardware level.

The two Plantronics UC headsets will not work in that configuration.

They did work when those same VMs were running under Workstation 8 and hardware version 8.

The same problem with the headsets occurs when running the VMs in Workstation 9/VMTools 9 and hardware version 8.

It is only when I back down to Workstation 8 and hardware version 8 that the headsets work correctly.

So now I have a mix/mess of things.

Some VMs that will run Workstation 8 or 9 because the hardware level is 8 and some that I "upgraded" to hardware version 9 that cannot be backed down to Workstation 8.

The headests only work when running the VMs in Workstation 8.

And I guess it bears repeating I reproduced this problem on a second host.

0 Kudos
gerwalt
Contributor
Contributor

Figured this out... I fixed this by setting the virtual machine to 1cpu... please let me know if it fixes your issue....

0 Kudos
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

All my VMs are configured with 1 CPU and 1 core.

0 Kudos
vuolp
Contributor
Contributor

Have also problems with Lync an Headset on VMWare Workstation. If I make or receive a call I can not hear my peer but he can hear my voice.

I use:
VMware Workstation 9.0.1 build-894247
VMware Tools for Windows V9.2.2 build-893683
Guest OS: Windows7 64bit Enterprise SP1
Mycrosoft Lync 2010 V4.0.7577.4356
Headset GN 2000 USB OC  (also tryed with Bluetooth Headset Plantronic BT300M)

Setting VM:
Sound Card: Connection-Use default host sound card.

First I try the following:
Select Headset as primary device.
I hear nothing or a little noiseSmiley Sad. My peer can hear me clearly.

Then I move my Guest to a other laptop with same hardware and an old VMware Player 4. On this config I have no problems.Smiley Happy

Short bevor I give up I try to make a call with built in speaker and microphon (Selecting PC Microphone and speaker in Lync). For my surprise I can hear my peer clearly in the headset and not on speaker:smileyconfused:.

It's a little by curious but it works. Maybe it works also for you.

0 Kudos
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a USB headset to work in a windows 7 guest by doing the following:

1) connect the USB device to the guest (via the 'VM | Removable Devices' menu)

2) In the guest, right click on the sound icon in the system try

3) Select Playback devices from the popup menu

4) Set the USB headset as the default communications device

5) right click on the sound icon again

6) select Recording Devices

7) Set the microphone for the USB Headset as the default device

😎 In lync check under 'Tools | Options | Audio Device' that the USB headset is selected

9) At the bottom of that dialog, I also check the box to get it to also use the PC speakers as a secondary ringer

With all that done, it usually works - though I occasionally have to reconnect the headset to the guest - probably after a suspend/resume.

0 Kudos
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

Yea. The speakers and microphone work. That is not the point.

VMware Workstation 9 is broken. I need to use the USB headset.

Until this is fixed I am using v8.

Starting to think about Hyper-V.............

0 Kudos
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

No, I think perhaps you misunderstood. I am saying that my headset usually works for me under workstation 9.

Hardware compatibility is set to 9, and I have it set for 1 processor, 4 cores (system has 8 cores -  two 4-core Xeons, though with hyperthreading it looks like 16 cores).

I was only mentioning the speakers as I have them set as the secondary ringer in Lync - so I can hear the ring when not wearing the headset.

0 Kudos
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like this might be fixed in 9.0.2 - I just stumbled accross this: http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/VMware-Workstation-Changelog-5341.html

0 Kudos
pulsedrive
Contributor
Contributor

has anyone confirmed that 9.0.2 resolves the issue with Lync Headsets and Workstation 9?  I had this exact same problem and so I rolled back to Workstation 8 until VMware can resolve this issue.  Also seriously considering Hyper-V on Win8. 

0 Kudos
vuolp
Contributor
Contributor

I have updated to VMware Workstation 9.0.2 build 1031769.

Version VMware Tools is 9.2.3. build 1031360

I have no success.

If I make a test with "Check Call Quality" I hear nothing or sometime a little bit noise.

If I make start "Check Call Quality" over "Audio Device Settings" I can hear the test 80% of trys. Speaker and Ringer Test are always ok.

If I switch to customer device and select the Headset as AudioOutput and the Microphon of my laptop as AudioInput I can make my calls. Headset is ok.

An other person in our office has updated from VMware Player4 to WMware Player5 with the sam result. He is also offline for telephone calls....

At the moment I do not recomend use VMwaer Workstation 9 or VMWare Player5 if you use Lync.

0 Kudos
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

It's not working for me in 9.0.2 - in fact it is worse than before I upgraded. I now get the same behaviour described by the original poster, rather than the 'usually works' I had before. Very disapointing.

0 Kudos
kspacht
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, Still broken.  Where are you VMWare? Not too hard to replicate..duh.  :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
pulsedrive
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am still incredibly frustrated by this issue.  I really want to upgrade to 9.x but can't due to this error.  I have seen no official response from VMware.  I am trying to get in touch with support to escalate it.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Just wanted to chime in that this is not an official support forum but a community based forum

So do not expect "official" responses here, that is what VMware Support is for.

If you are having an issue and you think its a problem with the software, please report it even if someone else have reported the issue before.

The issues are prioritized on severity and how many are affected by a certain problem etc, so if we do not know that many users have the same problem other issues may be fixed before.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vuolp
Contributor
Contributor

I have now open a support request for this issue.

0 Kudos
ghughes36
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates from that Support ticket you opened?

0 Kudos