VMware Communities
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Missing menu item in Workstation Pro "File > Virtualize a Physical Machine"

I want to convert a physical linux box to a workstation vmdk. I have setup the converter as Client, Server with non standard ports. HTTPS 444, HTTP port 80, Agent Service 9091. I have turned off UAC.

This is a trial version - hoping that doesn't matter.

When I open VMware workstation, click on the File menu the "Virtualize a Physical Machine" is not present.

Pretty much a show stopper.

Any ideas how to proceed.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately, recently the VMware Converter was removed from the downloads area due to a security issue.  They are supposedly working on it.  There are some alternatives/workarounds mentioned in the Converter forum.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

For lack of details lets assume that your Linux is a Red Hat.
Did you already asked google : how do I import a RedHat into a Workstation VM ?

The missing menu item may come back one day but you'd better not wait for that.

The manual procedures for mainstream distributions are usually only looking tricky at first sight.

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I solved the problem using clonezilla to create an image of my ubuntu server. Next I created a comparable ubuntu version as a VM in my VMware workstation. Next I "restored" the image using clonezilla into my vm. There were a few hitches along the way but basically I got my hardware system working in a VM so I could continue to use my server until I could hand build all the services on a new upgraded box.

0 Kudos