VMware Communities
VirtualLinx
Contributor
Contributor

Network Adapter in NAT mode not working in VMware Workstation Pro 16.x

I have VMware workstation 16.x installed on my Windows 11 Pro x64 host. I have created Windows 11, Windows 10, Linux hosts with network adapter set to NAT mode. I want this mode as a VPN client is installed on the host and I would like all the guest to access internet via this VPN. Initially this would work but after few restarts / couple of configuration changes this fails.

I am getting the below error for eg. when I tried to access google.com

This site can’t be reached google.com’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_STARTED

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

When I change the Network Adapter to Bridged Mode on the hosts internet is working fine on the respective host.

The configuration changes I made are below. Do any of this result in the NAT mode of networking?

1. Run WPD and disable all Windows Telemetry

2. Block all inbound connections in Windows Defender Firewall

3. Run Bleachbit and Privazer

4. Install VPN's like Express VPN and NORD VPN.

Internet is working fine on the host at all times!  Please see the attached screen shot.

Do I need to change the IP of the VMnet8 NAT adapter? The host DNS is 192.168.1.1 and host ip is 192.168.1.10

Any thoughts what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
djj
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.  No network connectivity in guest when the virtual network adapter is configured for NAT.  It started when I upgraded from 16.2.3 to 16.2.4.  I'm running a Win10 host and Cisco Anyconnect VPN.  I only tried it with a Windows XP guest.

I reverted to 16.2.3 and NAT is working again.

0 Kudos
VirtualLinx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Let me try also the same.

0 Kudos