VMware Communities
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

Networking not working between host and guest

Hi, I am running vmware 5.5.3.34685. My host is linux 2.6.20 and guest is WinXP. The guest is connected to the network via bridge networking. The host is connected to my router using NAT. Both the host and guest have their own IP 192.168.7.x and is on the same subnet. I've setup samba server on the host and the guest WinXP is able to browse the shares. The problem occurs when I try to copy files from the host to the guest. The copying just hangs. I have also tried using winscp to copy files from my host's sshd. Winscp copies a few bytes and complains the netwok is not responding. Any idea what could be the problem here?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

The guest is able to download at high speed from the internet. Its only host and guest that it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

No help?

0 Kudos
telfred
Expert
Expert

Can the guest copy files to the host ?

0 Kudos
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, surprisingly. The guest (winxp) can write to my host (linux samba).

0 Kudos
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

I've setup a windows share folder in the guest (winxp). Copying from host to the guest using the windows share server is slow, and copying from guest to host is fast. Whats going on?

0 Kudos
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

Since winscp doesn't work. I doubt it has to do with my samba setup. It is either vmware workstation bug or its my network card. I have doubts that it is a hardware problem since its the same issue on my laptop.

0 Kudos
vaxen
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this is an issue with the linux driver(sky2) for my integrated network card(yukon2)

0 Kudos