VMware Communities
NeverFollow
Contributor
Contributor

OSX support for VMware Workstation 7?

I wonder if OSX http://snow leopard to 10.6.3 can be installed using VMware workstation 7?

I cannot find thins information on the Workstation Web page.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

No it is not supported under VMware Workstation however OS X Server 10.5 and 10.6 is supported under VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Sorry, but I've removed your post with direct links for stimulating to do illegal practices with VMware Workstation.

Installing OS X on VMware Workstation is not only not supported, it is also illegal to install OS X under Workstation as is defined by the EULA of OS X.

Even if EULAs are not binding in the country you live in, it doesn't matter as the law for where the forums are hosted (the USA) is binding in this case.

The forums are not intended to be used to break the law.

FWIW, when you signed up for the forums you agreed to not perform these type of actions, for more info see

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JamesBriant
Contributor
Contributor

Quite so. But installing OSX Server in a vm is legal and allowed by the EULA provided the host is an apple product.

So I'd like to put windows on my Macbook, and then run OSX Server under Workstation. Is that possible? I'd like to know before spending $499 on OSX Server.

Jamie

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Quite so. But installing OSX Server in a vm is legal and allowed by the EULA provided the host is an apple product. So I'd like to put windows on my Macbook, and then run OSX Server under Workstation. Is that possible? I'd like to know before spending $499 on OSX Server.

While it might not violate Apples SLA when virtualized on apple branded hardware nonetheless as I've already stated "No it is not supported under VMware Workstation however OS X Server 10.5 and 10.6 is supported under VMware Fusion."

Furthermore at the present time even if you could get the scenario you wanted to work on apple branded hardware you'd this have to hack the OS X Server install in a manner that would violate its SLA since VMware does not provide and Apple approved way to virtualize it in any product other then VMware Fusion which only run under Mac OS X (Client or Server).

0 Kudos
JamesBriant
Contributor
Contributor

So, it would be great if vmware could make the EFI stuff available for booting OSX Server if Workstation detects its running on EFI hardware. They've got it, since that's what Fusion does. I have high resource apps that only run in non-virtual windows, and yet I still need to get access to all my work on OSX. Right now, thats two laptops. If, however, I could boot windows and run OSX on vm, I'd go out and get an i7 MBP today. I have paid copies of Workstation 7 and Fusion 3. If vmware could make it work, i'll happily pay to improve my productivity (and lighten my backpack!).

Jamie

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Just checking for EFI is not enough, there's motherboards which are used for windows PC's that use EFI, so it would have to check for more as just the EFI firmware. For VMware there's really little motivation to do this as it will not be very helpful in the relationship with apple who will see this as extra help for the people who want to break the EULA.

You probably know this already, but with bootcamp and importing your bootcamp as a VM you are getting pretty close to what you seem to be asking for.

You're telling us your demanding apps aren't really suitable to run in a VM, but for the sake of excluding reasons to get the type of setup you are asking for, what sort of demanding app do you want to run? Depending on that there might be other ways to mitigate the "demanding" factor. Like running from an SSD drive.

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JamesBriant
Contributor
Contributor

Just checking for EFI is not enough, there's motherboards which are used for windows PC's that use EFI, so it would have to check for more as just the EFI firmware. For VMware there's really little motivation to do this as it will not be very helpful in the relationship with apple who will see this as extra help for the people who want to break the EULA.

I'm sure they can figure it out, and why would apple think its extra help when hackers already run the OSX on regular PCs. These kids have already figured that stuff out. Its the legitimate users that are SOL. Downside: a bunch of people who would never buy it anyway might run OSX. Upside: some business users, like myself, will pay $499 for an OSX server license.

Depending on that there might be other ways to mitigate the "demanding" factor.

Unlikely.

0 Kudos