VMware Communities
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem installing Mandriva 2008 in VM Workstation 5.5.5

I'm using VM Workstation 5.5.5 in Win XP (host).

I was trying to make a new VM for Mandriva 2008 but I've got problem.

The VM has several (virtual) SCSI disks, whereas the SCSI adapter is LSI.

At almost the beginning of the installation, I got the message:

Found "Intel Corporation|82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE", "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic|53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI" interfaces.

Do you have another one?

I answered "No" and I got the following message:

An error occurred.

An error occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem.

Anyone has any idea? Because I use SCSI disks?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes! The problem is due to virtual SCSI disks!

Once I removed them and add IDE disks, the installation went on without problem.

0 Kudos
sebibres01
Contributor
Contributor

I found the same problem installing Mandriva 2008 in VMWare ESX 3.02

The solution was to change the kind of SCSI controller for the Virtual Machine from LSI Logic to BUS Logic. So, the Mandriva 2008 installation procedure found the controller and the virtual disk without any problem...

Probably this distribution does not contain the LSI Logic device drivers. The Bus Logic device drivers work fine.

Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've verified and can confirm that changing to BUS Logic did resolve the problem. But the problem doesn't seem to be totally a fault of Mandriva 2008.

Actually, this problem ONLY occurs with VMWare 5 VM running within VMWare Workstation 5 (or VMWare ESX 3.02 as stated by you). Using version 5 OR version 6 within VMWare Workstation 6 doesn't show this problem.

0 Kudos