VMware Communities
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem starting a VM that I copied over from another machine

I am trying to recreate our production Webserver/VM in a test environment on a separate box.  The host OS on both machines is Linux (Centos 6.x), and the VM/webserver is Windows 2012 (running IIS).

I run nightly backups which backs up the VM directory on the production linux box, I then restored those files to the new test box.  Afterwards I installed the same version of VMware workstation/VIX on the new box, however when I try to start the vm I get:  "Error: Cannot connect to the virtual machine"

I'm wondering what might be the cause here, and/or how to go about troubleshooting?  I'm just trying to figure out if VMware somehow creates files that link the VM to it's original host, or if it's being caused by something else entirely.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so I got it working :smileycool:

Basically I found a file with .lck extension which I'm assuming is a lock file.  I moved that out of the directory (just in case I was wrong I didn't delete it LOL), and then the VM started up.  Windows still went through chkdsk at bootup, I'm assuming because this backup occurred while the server was basically running which probably gave it some issues, maybe I could've removed the log files as well (guess I'll experiment a bit".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so I got it working :smileycool:

Basically I found a file with .lck extension which I'm assuming is a lock file.  I moved that out of the directory (just in case I was wrong I didn't delete it LOL), and then the VM started up.  Windows still went through chkdsk at bootup, I'm assuming because this backup occurred while the server was basically running which probably gave it some issues, maybe I could've removed the log files as well (guess I'll experiment a bit".

0 Kudos