VMware Communities
John_Webbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with missing base vmdk file in Win7 - lost cause ?

Hi,

I've been using VMWare for a good few years now without a hitch, until today.

I have a VM that today seems to have lost its base vmdk file.

I think the storage drive ran out of room when the pc was last shut down, but it seems odd this file vanished.

It is worth noting that the VM was actually suspended rather than shut down.

Below is a screen grab of what the directory looks like.

There was no Windows 7.vmdk' file, and I couldn't recover it, despite trying a few drive recovery tools.

So my question is, is this a lost cause ?

The file that is there now I have copied from one of the other VMs and renamed it (not that it works) in the hope that I could continue somehow.

I have read that these files are linked, and the parent / child IDs need to be set, but all discussions talk about editing the files and I don't seem to be able to do this in windows. Is there a tool for this or am I wasting my time ?

I have done loads of searching and reading to no avail, so thought I would come and ask the experts :smileygrin:

I'm a little confused about the different vmdk files.

Given the dates, I assume it is actually working in the -000002 file, since the others don't seem to have been changed in a while.

If that is the case, why do I need the others, and can I somehow get back to only using one file and free up a load of disk space ?

Does that also mean that the 000002 file has the current state of the drive in it ?

None of the other VMs have more than one vmdk file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John.

vm_win7.jpg

0 Kudos
21 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> chkdsk is going crazy, deleting loads of incorrect index entries, etc.

that is expected - after chkdsk is done some of the recovered files may disappear

that is  the reason why I recommend to copy out the data twice - first time before checkdisk
and a second time after it

0 Kudos
John_Webbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well the good news is I have recovered all the data files I needed from the desktop etc. the files from pre-chkdsk were all fine as far as I can tell (all docs opened, pictures virwed).

spent the morning installing applications on a new vm, and then later I can try to recover the email stuff too.

thanks so much for all the help with this.

0 Kudos