VMware Communities
jjr2527
Contributor
Contributor

Properly configuring VM networking

I am trying to configure networking on my guest so that it can access the internet and the local LAN resources like our intranet site.  What is the best way to do this?  Getting internet access has been easy but accessing the LAN sites has been tough for me.  I won't even bother adding my current configuration because I am really looking for the best pracitice in how to set this up.

My guest is windows2008R2 and the host is Window 7.  I am using version 7.1.3 of VMWare workstation.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

since the guest is a server OS I think using "Bridged" networking is the way to go for you. This way you will assign a "regular" IP address to the guest to access the local network and to be accessed from the network. If you don't need the guest being accessed form the network, you may chose NAT instead. In both cases make sure the Windows 7 firewall on the host does not block the traffic from the VM.

André

0 Kudos
briwag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many NICs are in the Host machine?

When you say you are getting access to the internet is that through your corporate LAN or through a direct connection to the internet, seperate from you corporate lan? If it's getting access externally through the corporate network then I don't see why there isn't access to your internal resources. How did you configure the networking within the guest configuration, passthrough?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am trying to configure networking on my guest so that it can access the internet and the local LAN resources like our intranet site.  What is the best way to do this?  Getting internet access has been easy but accessing the LAN sites has been tough for me.  I won't even bother adding my current configuration because I am really looking for the best pracitice in how to set this up.

Generally speaking networking Virtual Machines is no different then networking Physical Machines, which basically means do the same things you would if it was a physical network, however to gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual much less the rest of the documentation. (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File.)

0 Kudos
jjr2527
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the bridged option again but without any luck.  Still I am able to connect to the internet but not to the intranet.

0 Kudos
jjr2527
Contributor
Contributor

This is my laptop, there is one NIC,

0 Kudos