VMware Communities
wessie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

\[Remote Debugging] Domain restriction

I find that the remote debugging feature of Workstation 6 is quite a nice feature.

The only catch in my eyes is the domain restriction:

If the host is in a domain the client needs to be in the same domain as well.

I'm trying to present the remote debugging feature for a software engineer group at my work. This might be the feature we're looking for in a virtualisation product.

I've contacted the system administrators and they just won't let me configure my clients in the domain. Also, the hosts would need to remain in the current one. They won't configure a test domain for testing/debugging.

Is there any way around this? Couldn't the debugging communication between host and client just be ip-based so that they would not need to be in the same domain?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rico_chet
Contributor
Contributor

up

Honestly, the VMware remote debugging feature is useless at work because a domain PC is used for development (for source control integration) and a non-domain VM is used for debugging. While classic remote debugging is possible (msvsmon.exe /nouser etc.), VMware-assisted debugging fails.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest trying it on the different domains and seeing if it works. I have used the feature many many times on different domains and have only occasionally had a problem with it. That said, I agree that it would be nice to add a checkbox to the user interface to allow for the /anyuser flag, but it opens up many security holes in the guest because it is essentially fair game for any malicious traffic on the network to execute arbitrary code on your VM.

0 Kudos