VMware Communities
LBrin
Contributor
Contributor

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Recently upgraded my PC to a new Dell XPS 17 with Windows 11.  I upgraded my VMWare WS Pro to version 16.2.4 (supposedly Windows 11 Compatible per KB 80807).  Previously I had multiple W10 VM's running on a Windows 10 host (VMWare version 15.2.??).  I've ran those VM's on the new host, both as the original, and after converting to WSPro V16.2.4.  On almost every launch of these VM's I get the BSOD with the message "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED".  The VM will go through a few rounds of auto restarting and repair, and eventually they manage to get up and running, but never really indicate exactly what went wrong.  I've run SFC /Scannow, and a few other utilities, which occasionally find small things, but still have problems starting these VM's even after these utilities.  Google research indicates that this error is typically a driver issue, often the graphics driver, but there isn't a way to change the graphics driver within the VM's.
Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I've disabled side channel mitigations on all of these machines

LBrin_0-1666969188440.png

27 Replies
jay-ekon
Contributor
Contributor

@Mat92  The scsi trick worked for our machines. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ea4
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here

VMware® Workstation 17 Pro 17.0.2 build-21581411

Host:

Windows 11 Enterprise, 64-bit (Build 22621.1702) 10.0.22621

Dell Precision 3571

Guest:

Windows Server 2022 Standard

Switching to 1 CPU x 2 cores helps.

0 Kudos
ea4
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling Hyper-V on the guest machine stopped crashes for me. After increasing CPU cores from 2 to 6 it still crashed once on the first boot, but on the next one OS loaded normally.

0 Kudos
ThomasHei
Contributor
Contributor

>>> Switching to 1 CPU x 2 cores helps.

This solution is only useful to see, that the VM will start.

For productive working the CPU performance is not enough.

In general I use 2 CPU x 4 cores for having a good performance in the VM.

0 Kudos
ThomasHei
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to VMWare Workstation 17.5 it seems to work. No bluescreens anymore.

I have to apologize. Today I had lots of bluescreens again. Due to the problems, I rarely use VM Ware. It's not fun anymore.

0 Kudos
Craig_Paris
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there. Did you end up resolving this issue. I'm having the exact same issue and can run the vm on 1 core 2 threads but its impossible to use... Regards, Craig

0 Kudos
ThomasHei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Craig,

unfortunately not. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Regards Thomas

0 Kudos
boscom
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on April 6, 2024. It appears that VMWare doesn't have time to deal with support issues now that they are part of Broadcom.

Host:
Lenovo Thinkpad P16v Gen 1
64 GB RAM
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13800H, 2500 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s) 
Windows 11 Enterprise x64
VMWare Workstation 17 Pro 17.5.1

Guest:
16 GB RAM
1 CPU 8 cores
Windows Server 2022

This config gives me a BSOD on first boot, and eventually will eventually boot normally.

Another guest is running RHEL 8 and I'm having severe performance issues to the point where it is completely unusable. I can't even type in a terminal window.

Every VM I've created on this new laptop have had BSODs and severe performance issues. People before me have complained of the same issue on the 12th gen, and here we are on the 13th gen and continue to have the same issue. When I had an older Mac running an older version of VMWare, I never had any issues at all.

Anyone from VMWare listening???

0 Kudos