VMware Communities
Externalist
Contributor
Contributor

Shortcut to switch to Host OS?

Hi,

I've been using VMWare Workstation for a while. While using vmware, I found it very convenient to switch to other guest systems with the ctrl + alt + Arrow combination, but in order to switch to the host OS, I'd have to use the mouse to click the minimize button. Is there possibly a way to switch to the host OS with a certain key combination, or a way to define a custom shortcut? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Just dump the arrow in your key-combo and press Ctrl+Alt simultaneously and you are in the host OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Externalist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy Although CtrlAlt works great when the VMware is not in full screen mode, pressing CtrlAlt while in full screen mode results in showing up the bar in the upper part of the screen. It still requires the user to press the minimize button.

At this point you might think 'Wow, this guy must be super lazy to feel bothered to do one more click' and yeah I can't deny that. 😛 But still, I'm just curious if there was a way to do that with a simple keystroke without having the mouse involved. I just have this strange feeling that such shortcut might exist,(which didn't happen to be documented in the help file though. :/) because it is used very frequently in my case. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Wow, this guy must be super lazy to feel bothered to do one more click

Nah, there's always a good reason. IMO, if you can't control an OS by the keyboard, it is not a decent OS, LOL

I don't think this exists in Workstation. If you had used Fusion on OS X then I think it is possible.

Sorry but you'll have to accept that you need to use and then "n"

Personally I don't like the latter combo much as the letter "n" is different depending on the language of the Windows Version used.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Externalist
Contributor
Contributor

Oh wow, how simple! I never even thought of AltTab even when I was using it everyday. And the AltSpace+N is good enough for me. Thanks for the useful reply! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos