VMware Communities
iautran
Contributor
Contributor

Simulate a DMZ with Vmware Workstation ?

Hello,

I am using Vmware Workstation 6.5.

I am trying to simulate a DMZ environment with three zones : Internet & DMZ & LAN

Internet

DMZ

LAN

192.168.0.0 (same range as the ip address of my host server)

My question is quite simple. How can I configure those networks if want to simulate the DMZ (and so only allow route between (Internet - DMZ) and (DMZ - LAN)?

Actually, the only solution I see is to have two dedicated virtual machines configured for the routing.

One computer will have two network adapters (on 172.1.2.0 and 10.1.1.0) and another computer will have two network adapters (on 10.1.1.0 and 192.168.0.0)

Is it the only solution ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
joelau007
Contributor
Contributor

I have done this with a Cisco L3 switch and 802.1q.

To make this work you'll need to have at least CCNA level knowledge on networks.

Regards.

0 Kudos
iautran
Contributor
Contributor

I dont have any Cisco router.

I think I will install an ISA Server with 3 network cards (if I want to test ISA) or just a Windows computer or server with 3 network card and routing enabled Smiley Happy

I dont know if there is a way more "light" like perhaps a linux box with few memory needs etc... but I dont know Linux enough to configure it :smileygrin:

Thanks

0 Kudos
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try[ smoothwall|http://www.smoothwall.org/] or[ IPCop|http://www.ipcop.org/] as alternative, no real Linux experience is necessary for these "light" firewall, they work kinda like ISA.

If you have a spare PC/Server and 3 network cards you could install it on that, doesn't require a lot of resources.

0 Kudos
jakganesh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Bestway is configure the floppy router or Smoothwall which are very easy to maintain with three virtual NICs, one Vnic should be bridged and the other two for diffrent VMnets.

You can easly implement your senario using this.

Jak

Jak
0 Kudos
iautran
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot guys.

For the moment I will use ISA as it is a nice way to learn how to use it but if I need to free some memory, I will use Smoothwall.

--> What do you want to mean by "floppy router" ?

Thanks

0 Kudos