VMware Communities
madios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot Files remain on Disk

Hi,

a few days ago I needed to delete some snpshots but 5gb free space on disk weren't enough, so the error message "cannot delete snapshot" popped up, the snapshot in snapshot manager was gone but the files were still there. I created a new snapshot, deleted it and all files were consolidated so my snapshot folder was back to 0bytes, everything's fine.

After continuing to work with my vm I created ss, deleted ss without error msg, but now there are files left in my snapshot folder again without a related entry in snapshot manager (VM 50GB, Snapshots 7GB).

Additionally I am not able to compact the virtual disks (my vm contains two, system + data): when clicking compact, the error "system cannot find the file specified" occurs. Log file says VMw is looking for a vmdk in the root folder, but the file is located in snapshot folder now.

A full clone creates files with correct sizes, VM 50GB, 0GB snapshots, but I can't and don't want to create a clone everytime I need to save space on my SSD.

How to remove the files?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When cloning you will only have different UUID's and a different MAC address. The OS does not get modified.

Regarding the Consolidate Helper. To see (and delete) the snapshot in the snapshot manager, delete the line snapshot0.clientFlags = "1" from the vmsd file while the VM is not opened in the tabs in VMware Workstation (no lck files in the folder).

I assume you have a current backup of the files, just in case something goes wrong (which really shouldn't).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

to fully understand the current situation, please attach the VM's configuration file (vmx), the snapshot file (vmsd), the latest vmware.log as well as a list of files in the VM's folder showing all details (names, extensions, sizes, date/time).

André

0 Kudos
madios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What I forgot to mention: when cloning the whole vm there is the option to clone from an existing snapshot "Consolidate Helper - 0", which can be found in vmsd file, too. But I have no idea how to get of rid it (I know the delete key but want to keep my vm working Smiley Wink )

In ...6884.log there you can see the error caused by compacting one of the virt. disk.

I have attached all files.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have attached all files.

It is preferred that you archive (compress) all the files into a single .zip archive and attach a single file not 5 individual files that we then have to download separately!  I guess common sense isn't. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From a first look at the files, everything looks fine. You should be able to see the "Consolidate Helper - 0" snapshot in the snapshot manger. This is a snapshot which is created when you consolidate/delete snapshots while the VM is powered on. If everything works as expected this snapshot should automatically be deleted after the process. If it exists in the snapshot manager you should be able to delete it like every other snapshot.

André

0 Kudos
madios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, Snapshot Manager is showing "You Are Here" and the root only.

I've now tried both creating a snapshot from running and powered off machine, deleted the snapshots but VMw won't consolidate the files in snapshot folder.

As I said the full clone's disks have to correct expected sizes. My VM is a 2008R2 domain controller with Exchange and SQL server (totally fine for test purposes Smiley Wink )  Does VMware modify any important identifiers (like newsid in the past or whatever) during clone process or can I safely continue to work with the cloned machine?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When cloning you will only have different UUID's and a different MAC address. The OS does not get modified.

Regarding the Consolidate Helper. To see (and delete) the snapshot in the snapshot manager, delete the line snapshot0.clientFlags = "1" from the vmsd file while the VM is not opened in the tabs in VMware Workstation (no lck files in the folder).

I assume you have a current backup of the files, just in case something goes wrong (which really shouldn't).

André

0 Kudos
madios
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

clientFlags did the trick, snapshot appeared and I was able to delete it. Compacting does work now, too and the VM is back to 50GB.

And gonna attach an archive next time Smiley Wink

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos