VMware Communities
Dups
Contributor
Contributor

Starting multiple VMs in one VMware session using vmrun (windows)

Ok so I have a simple batch file that opens a vm in a VMware workstation sessions. This works fine.

vmrun start d:/vm1.vmx[/b]

However, I need to open up more VM sessions. The problem I am running into is that if I simply add another line such as

vmrun start d:/vm1.vmx

vmrun start d:/vm2.vmx[/b]

it opens up two sessions of VMWare Workstation. What I want is to be able to open two VMs in the same VMWare Workstation session. I am sure it's just a AND argument or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

They may appear in different windows, however, if you closed all the windows so it runs in the systray you should find it actually lets you access them all.

Another way - havent tested to be sure, but if you did.. a batch file that did

d:\vm1.vmx

d:\vm2.vmx

vmrun start d:\vm1.vmx

vmrun start d:\vm2.vmx

Does it then use the open session?

0 Kudos
Dups
Contributor
Contributor

d:\vm1.vmx

d:\vm2.vmx

vmrun start d:\vm1.vmx

vmrun start d:\vm2.vmx[/b]

That has the same result. It opens up two VMWare Workstation sessions. It opens up a different VM in each but it's still not the result I need. The problem is as soon as you do a vmrun start .... the start will open up VMware Workstation. I checked all the other commands for vmrun and none exists for openining a second VM in an already opened VMWare Workstation.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you set both machines to "start on open" and then just used the first 2 commands, does that work?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Which version of Workstation are you using?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think it's a timing issue. When Workstation starts up, it checks for existing Workstation windows, but there's a period of time between the point when you execute vmware.exe and when it finishes creating the window, so during that period, a second vmware.exe process won't detect it.

We can do this a lot better, and we'll try to address that in a future release. In the meantime, adding a delay between the vmrun invocations should help.

0 Kudos
Dups
Contributor
Contributor

Running version 5.5.3 build 34685

0 Kudos
Dups
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I tried it in two batch files.

First batch file is vmrun start d:/thevm

Second batch file is vmrun start d:/thevm2

I run the first one manually. Wait for it to be up and running. I then start the second batch file manually and it still opens up a second sessions of VMWare Workstation instead of simply opening up the second VM in the first VMware Workstation session.

0 Kudos