VMware Communities
KimberlyL72
Contributor
Contributor

Support for Razor Mouse in VM?

I'm running into an issue where I'm unable to use the scroll wheel with my Razor DeathAdder Essential mouse if I have the cursor moving. I did a test with a basic cheap Logitech mouse and it works flawlessly.

Is there anything I can do on the host to get this working in the VM? My host machine is Windows 10, and my VM is Debian 11.

I should also add that I've done the following:

- Set optimize mouse for games to ALWAYS but no luck.

- Made sure I have this set in the config: usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

- I have installed VMware Tools

Just a quick update, I found a work around however it comes at a cost. If I go into my VM and under USB Devices I disconnect from Host which only allows the Razor mouse to be used within the VM the issue is fully resolved. The draw back sadly is that I now need a 2nd mouse regardless to use my Host machine so either way I'm stuck getting a 2nd mouse.

EDIT: I did another thing by adding the following to the conf.
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" mouse.vusb.useBasicMouse = "FALSE"
I already had: usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"
and now the problem is resolved so far. I'll wait and see if any issues occur.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I suspect the issue here is that the 3rd party mouse driver for your Razor is doing something to mangle the mouse events after they've been initially submitted to Windows, and that's occurring after we've done our initial mouse processing.   We have some code to try and drop duplicate mouse events that has a timing element to it, and I think when you stop moving the mouse briefly those scroll events are going through, whereas if you're actively moving the mouse we think it's a duplicate event and drop it.

We have a config option that will let you opt-out of the timing detection that might get the scroll events working, although it's also possible that it will make you start double-processing other kinds of mouse events like button clicks.  But you can at least give it a try and see if it helps:

#Disable timer for duplicate mouse detection
mks.win32.useTimedMouseHookEvents=FALSE

0 Kudos