VMware Communities
juhwwon
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu16.04 network editor on VMware Player 16:- Automatic bridge settings reverts config on save

Hello Good Community,

I am having a problem with permanently saving my configurations in vmware virtual editor on Linux.

First I opened the editor gui using vmware-netcfg from root of terminal but after removing all other interfaces from automatic bridging and quit, those changed never occur when I go back to the editor to have a look. I need my configuration to save and work so that I can conveniently bridge my newly bought network adapter to a different vms as I intend. Kindly help shed some lights please.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@juhwwon 

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used, and also state which product and version used.

Moved to Workstation Pro Discussions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
donkey654
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that support for VMware Player is limited because of its free nature. I also have found this frustrating. I am using Player 17 and the vmware-netcfg automatic bridge will default to always selecting all available network adapters. You can manually change /etc/vmware/networking but the netcfg tool will always show all adapters. If you need to prevent bridging, just remove the lines that contain add_bridge_mapping [adapter] 0 for any adapters you don't want to be automatically selected.  The netcfg tool is suppose to change the 0 to a -1 for any adapter that is deselected. However it seems that every time the the service starts it changes them back to 0. I am still testing that this is permanent. So far I have rebooted and it seems to keep.

The problem is that virtual adapters show has selectable bridges. vmaware selects the first adapter that comes available at start of service. So if a virtual adapter is available before a physical adapter, then it is chosen. You can run vmware-netcfg and change the bridge network from automatic to a specific adapter. However, this will only allow you to have 1 adapter chosen. So if you go from wired to wifi, you will need to change it to every time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The lack of support is not because Player is free (which it isn't for commercial use, by the way). It's because of the features that are included in Player vs. Pro. Player is limited only because custom networking is a feature of Pro and not Player. You might be able to to configure custom networks with Player, but you're going to have to know how to do it with the command line and that's not really well documented. And if Player should reset things, well, that's likely something you'll have to live with.

My suggestion: if you want custom virtual network configuration that's fully supported and easily configured, use Pro and not Player. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
donkey654
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos