VMware Communities
EHeere
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to VMware workstation 8 VMware Tools breaks drag and drop on host

Upgraded VMware Workstation from ver 7.1.4 to 8.0.0.  Host is XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) with all current MS Updates.

On upgrading VMware Tools on a guest VM, after rebooting the guest, drag and drop on the host breaks.  A key and simple-to-identify symptom is the inability to move shortcut icons on the desktop.  Please note that this problem is local to the host OS file system (host desktop, C: drive, other applications running strictly on the host).

Rebooting the host resolves the problem.  Running the guest again recreates the problem on the host.  After two or three cycles of running the guest and rebooting the host, the problem is gone - seemingly permanently.  Guests tested include multiple XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) and Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit) VMs.

Have tested this via prompted upgrade and also by uninstalling older VMware Tools first.  Both scenarios behave the same way.

Subsequently upgraded VMware Workstation to ver 8.0.1 and still have same problem when upgrading tools on guest VMs that were not previously upgraded to VMware Workstation version 8 tools.

Have not determined if the problem occurs when creating a completely new guest VM.

Although the problem eventually goes away, it is very annoying and somewhat time consuming due to the number of cycles of running the guest OS and rebooting the host that are required.

Have searched VMware site and Google, but not found anything relating to this problem.

Message was edited by: EHeere

I have now discovered at least one trigger:  When logging on to the Guest OS, if one does a ctrl-alt-del instead of ctrl-alt-ins, the host machine responds to the command with the typical pop up of action choices.  On cancelling that, the Guest OS logon dialog appears with the VMware notice that the ctrl-alt-del has been passed to the Guest OS.  Even if one then selects 'shut down' on the Guest OS logon dialog instead of logging on, drag and drop on the Host OS is now 'broken'.

Message was edited by: EHeere

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JunglePants
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I have this too.  But it happened randomly with v6 and v7.  Frustrating and I still don't know what causes it.  I know that doesn't help you, but you are not the only one.

0 Kudos
MurrayW
Contributor
Contributor

Diggin this one up.... mmmmm brains!

I have this STILL. I am running Workstation 8 and my host is a fully-patched Windows 7 Professional (x64). I only just found this question and had already submitted a question of my own... seems I am not alone.

0 Kudos