VMware Communities
Robbin201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to Workstation Pro 17, now if I go to the host, I can never get back to workstation

I foolishly  upgraded to pro 17 when I really didn't need to.  Now if I minimize either PRO or the full screen VM, you can never get back to it.  When you hover over the icon, you can see the VMs that are running, but you can't get the focus back to them.  I'm going to start looking for a backup to recover from but I thought I'd ask here first.   Looks like lots of problems with pro 17.   

I can click close on the vmware icon, and it will ask me about the open VMs, I can suspend them and let it shut down and then restart it to get back to the VM, but that is an awful work around. 

Thanks,

Robbin 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

>> Looks like lots of problems with Pro 17

Let's investigate what's going on with your configuration before making any inference that one of the "lots of problems" are behind what you're seeing.

Exact version of Workstation installed?

Windows or Linux host operating system? What Linux distro (if Linux) and OS version (Windows or Linux)?

If Linux, what desktop environment is in use?

By "hover over icon" what Icon are you hovering over?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Robbin201110141
Contributor
Contributor

My lots of problems comment came from reviewing your site trying to find my problem and I was amazed at how many problems there were.  I've only got one problem.   

Workstation Pro 17.5  Windows 11 64 bit.  The ICON is the workstation pro Icon on the windows toolbar that shows you that workstation is running. 

If I minimize workstation pro, either in full screen mode or not, I can never get back to workstation pro, thou the icon says my VMs are still running, but it won't let me click on them and go to them.   I tried shortcut keys. 

My only work around is telling windows to close workstation pro, and it asks what I want to do with the running VMs, I suspend them and then restart workstation and resume the VM to get back to them.  

And thank you for your help!  It is very much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Robbin201110141
Contributor
Contributor

For whatever reason, it appears to be working now.   I tried to upgrade the encryption on my old VMs, which it was unable to do. 

Other than that I haven't done anything that I thought might have fixed it.

0 Kudos