VMware Communities
brendang
Contributor
Contributor

Using physical disk corrupted my data

Hi all

Just purchased Workstation 6 for Windows.

Installed on XP and made an XP guest.

Added a physical disk. Within the physical disk in VMware, created a new folder and shared it. Copied data across the network to this folder.

Rebooted the guest, and when it came up, Windows did a file system check and fixed errors.

Now, about half the folders I copied are missing, and a lot of the files are corrupted...for example, Word thinks some Word docs are in a different language...

Any ideas on recovering this data? I've tried checking the filesystem in both the guest and host using just Windows tools. I feel like crying...

Regards

Brendan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Any physical disk that can be access by the host and guest is unsafe to use in a virtual machine, doing so can result in data corruption.

0 Kudos
brendang
Contributor
Contributor

I am running recovery software on the machine I copied the files from... if the software works as intended, I should be able to get the data back...

Lucky... if I had have created the files within the guest or hadn't copied the files from somewhere, they'd probably be unrecoverable...

Hopefully someone who is intending to use this feature reads this and does so with extreme caution...

0 Kudos