VMware Communities
MartynE
Contributor
Contributor

VM's Slow or Unstable when Windows Subsystem for Android is Installed (Resolved)

I am posting this as I did not find any direct references to my issue, some similar ones helped get me on the right track.

My issue was that recently a few of my VM's both Standalone and Linked-clones began running very slowly and/or exhibited unstable behavior with various error messages application & OS windows not opening or taking minutes to open.

I was able to resolve this after several hours troubleshooting to be the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSfA) needing the BCD setting hypervisorlaunchtype auto, as the WSfA requires Hyper-V to run

To turn off the Hyper-V, I ran the following command under an elevated command prompt and then rebooted:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

To turn Hyper-V back on use:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Unfortunately this means whilst this is off, I cannot use any of my Android apps on Windows e.g. Audible, which is no longer developed for Windows and the Windows store is now installing the WSfA and the Amazon Store Android app for Audible.

I am sure there will be many more apps that are currently multi-platform moving from being Windows apps to Android so this will become more of an issue in the near future, one that could start users looking again at Hyper-V for Windows instead, unless a resolution for this is found.

VMware Workstation Pro 17.0.1 running on Windows 11 Pro with AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 128GB, DDR4. M.2 NVME Storage.

2 Replies
emutter
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, there needs to be some way to be able to run the vmware hypervisor separately on the side for vmware usage, and then hyper-v's hypervisor for WSL/WSA or android studio usage, unless development is planning on making it so vmware's hypervisor would work with the other platforms, but i highly doubt that would ever be.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@emutter wrote:

I agree, there needs to be some way to be able to run the vmware hypervisor separately on the side for vmware usage, and then hyper-v's hypervisor for WSL/WSA or android studio usage, unless development is planning on making it so vmware's hypervisor would work with the other platforms, but i highly doubt that would ever be.

Microsoft has to shoulder some of the blame here, don't you think? It seems that they don't make it easy for third-party hypervisors now that they're essentially requiring the use of pieces of the Hyper-V technology in other parts of the operating system. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos