VMware Communities
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

VMW8-Autostart order using vSphere client?

Hello,

I have been trying Workstation 8, mainly coming from the abandond VMWare Server 2.X. Now that VMW8 has Autostart, and I have gotten that working easily, I am interested in choosing the order of boot, something that VMWare Server 1 and 2 had but is strangely absent for VMW8 (About time they finally included it!!!!)

In the VMW8 help file under search Auto Start there is this line:

"You can use the VMware vSphere Client to configure  more advanced features, including startup order...

I have installed the vSphere client on the same server running VMW8 and can connect fine. However I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find the ability for any Auto Start and of course the order of starting each VM. This is a feature I have seen in VMWare Server 1/2 and ESX in the past. Any tips?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I think this is not implemented yet.
For now edit vmInventory.xml and vmAutoStart.xml

this files can be found in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\hostd or in

C:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd or in

/etc/vmware/hostd

I am writing something about it but its not ready yet

0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

Great and thanks for the response. Will try that method soon and get back on here. Appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

oops, guess I spoke too soon haha. I will wait for your edited response. Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sorry - hope you have not seen that stuff 😉
spoke too early ...

0 Kudos
gcoleman
Contributor
Contributor

Like catching your parents having sex, saw it, but pretending I didn't....

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos