automatically acquire an ip address, though everything would go fine if

i have it bridged to either physical NIC's while theyre not bridged

(physically).

to break this down

i have

Local Area Connection 1 (physical on host) + Local Area Connection 2

(physical on host) = are bridged to Network Bridge (physical on

host)

if i attempt to connect vmnet0 to this bridge interface, the virtual NIC within the vm machine doesnt get an ip address from the physical external dhcp server in my network

though if i remove the bridge and connect vmnet0 to either one of the

physical NIC's on host it would simply connect witout a problem

PS: when i turn on te VM's they give an error message stating that bridge interface is down wheras its fully operational !

thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

hmm - I don't get your post right ...

When ever you connect a vmnet to a physical nic you use the bridge-protocol and the vmnetbridge.sys driver must be running.

In this context your description

though everything would go fine if i have it bridged to either physical NIC's while theyre not bridged (physically).

makes no sense - please explain

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
nodeend
Contributor
Contributor

hi mate,

thanks for your reply

this is the situation,

you know in xp we can bridge our NIC's, simply we choose 2 NIC's and bridge them, this doesnt have anything to do with vmwares vmnet0 bridge !

so basically any sort of traffic from one NIC would be forwarded to the other one and vice versa!

these are the NIC's i have

Local area Connection 1 : which is a wireless nic and its gateway points to my router and finally internet

Local are connection 2 : is a private LAN

when i bridge these 2 interfaces in windows using the windows bridge capability i would be able to use dhcp leases from my router on the private network

and NOW vmware :

before i bridge my NIC's in windows i would still be able to point vmnet0 to local area conenction 1 and my vm machines would get a dhcp lease from my router

but if i use the bridge capability of windows and bridge my 2 physical interfaces, then the only option i would get is to point vmnet0 to my bridge connection, and when i do so, vmware workstation doesnt recognize the interface and simply my vm machines do not get an ip address from the router.

i thought maybe i would be able to add vmnet1 to my windows bridge and connect my vm machines to vmnet1 instead of vmnet0 but when i do so it gives an error message which states that it is not compatible and drops out.

0 Kudos
kdshapiro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using the virtual network editor insert a rule to block the bridge to NIC22. My desktop has two nic ports. I block nic2 (private lan) and auto-bridge to nic1 (router, gateway and internet).

0 Kudos
nodeend
Contributor
Contributor

I Cant Simply because i dont get the option to.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ah I see - we are mixing terms ...

Why do you want to use Windows-builtin bridgeing functions ???

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
nodeend
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy yes i thought so,

basically ive got a cross over to another workstation and i need that station to be connected to the internet as well, so the only way to do it is to bridge these two physical connections i have.

now i still need to use some VM's on the machine that im bridging physical interfaces and i need them to have access to the internet as well as the LAN.

but it simply doesnt work ! whenever i need to use vmnet0 i have to remove the wireless nic from the bridge and turn on my VM !

any ideas ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I still don't see a reason to use a Windows bridge - so I am running out of ideas

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
nodeend
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos