VMware Communities
wyzedogg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs wont start - no errors, no tab opens up

Hi all, I'm having issues with VM Workstation 6.5 on Windows 7 64 bit.

My VMs have worked in the past. Now, for some reason when I try to open a VM nothing happens. No error, no tab opens up. only thing i've noticed is that a .lck folder gets created in the VM's folder.

So basically I open VM Workstation, go to File -> Open ( or simply click on the Open Existin VM icon ) and try to open any 1 of my 5 VMs and nothing happens.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing several times and nothing has worked yet.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probable reasons:

misconfigured Antivirus or Desktop firewalls

please also check if a prozess named webcam.exe or fixcamera.exe is running - if yes - disable it

about the update ... IMHO there is no pressing reason to update to 7.1 - 6.5.4 is quite good

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Workstation 6.5 is a little bit old. I recommend you to install Workstation 7.1.

Here are the steps needed to solve your issue:

uninstall the old 6.5

reboot your computer

install the new 7.1

reboot your computer again

Can you take a look at the logfiles of VMWare Workstation and your Windows event viewer?

Did you install something newly? Some software might interfere with VMWare software.

Can you do a scan against malware?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

probable reasons:

misconfigured Antivirus or Desktop firewalls

please also check if a prozess named webcam.exe or fixcamera.exe is running - if yes - disable it

about the update ... IMHO there is no pressing reason to update to 7.1 - 6.5.4 is quite good

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
wyzedogg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you kindly my friend. It was my McAfee Anti Virus that was blocking it!

thanks!

0 Kudos