VMware Communities
Aaron44126
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 6.0.4 will not install (Windows)

My system info:

Dell Inspiron 1720

Windows Vista x64 (Ultimate)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

4 GB of RAM

Yesterday, I downloaded the new VMware Workstation 6.0.4, and as I have so many times in the past, I just executd the installer to upgrade my installation. As usual, it wanted to uninstall my previous version before installing the new one, which it proceeded to do.

During the new install, it got almost to the end. At the first step after installing the USB driver (I think it is something like "Preparing network component installation", but it disappeared quickly), it decided that it needed to roll back the installation. After this, I got a message that the install failed, my system has not been modified, and to try again later. Nothing more specific than that.

I rebooted and ran the installer again, same thing.

I tried to install 6.0.3, the version I was running before, same thing. (So, it doesn't seem to have to do with any changes in 6.0.4.)

I tried manually removing things that VMware left behind to run the installer as "clean" as possible, (), same thing.

So, now I'm stuck without VMware on my main machine, which is a drag.

Does anyone know what might cause this? (Or, at least where to look for a setup log or something, that I can't seem to find?)

Thanks,

- Aaron

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Aaron44126
Contributor
Contributor

Found the log, which contained zero useful information. Here is the snippet around where it decides to rollback:

Action 16:22:23: InstallServices. Installing new services

Action 16:22:25: VM_InstallUSB. Installing USB driver

Action 16:22:25: VM_InstallVmkbd.

Action 16:22:27: VM_CleanLegacyNetworking. Preparing for network component installation

Action 16:22:29: Rollback. Rolling back action:

Rollback: Preparing for network component installation

Rollback: VM_InstallVmkbd

Rollback: Installing USB driver

Rollback: Installing new services

0 Kudos
Aaron44126
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved (kind of):

Workstation 6.5 beta installed without issue. (Don't think it was chance, 6.0.3/4 probably failed 10-12 times in a row.)

0 Kudos