VMware Communities
isthisuniqueen1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware's arrogance is showing

Hi

I'm a newbie here so I hope I'm posting in the correct "area".

I went to upgrade my 6.x workstation to 7.1 this morning & I'm so shocked how VMware has changed.

1.  They want to charge me $300(AU) approx. for 7.1, but if I'm in the US  its less than $200(US), but the oz $ is worth more than the US, so how it  that possible for a digital download to be so expensive if we download  in Australia its 50% more expensive !!!

2. I tried to upgrade initially. but someone else has already registered my 6.x key, I sent VMware an email but they ignored me.

Anyone else been suffering as a result of VMware's arrogance, whats going on they used to be so easy to deal with ???

NG

PS I will just have to go to Hyper V & Virtualbox !!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

which email address did you send to?

0 Kudos
isthisuniqueen1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi idle-jam

I filled in the form on the sales contact page & then I sent a email to - sales@vmware.com Smiley Happy

NG

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

This does seem a large price differential, but I would not place the blame firmly at VMware.

Prices were set some time ago and may not have changed as the Aussie dollar has gotten stronger, and the US dollar weaker.

In addition, I am not sure what the taxes on software are in Australia vs USA?

The problem is not exclusive to softwrae - most things in aus have gotten very expensive recently (even for people coming over from the UK) - books are another prime example!

I am not sure if there is any regulation preventing you buying the license from the states and using it in Australia?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
andreaplanet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For European buyers there is an average of 20% value added tax on anything that you buy. VMWare seems to add this tax (they are required to do so), but other companies have much worse price differences, for example Apple products, a Mac Mini starts from $699 in the US Apple Store and 699 Euro in the European Apple Store, with the actual exchange rate that is over $1000 USD for the same product (made in China).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

look for an australian reseller and consider buyying the upgrade - that is less than 100 australian dollars

also read the forum before changing version - if you now run 6.5.4 on XP for example you have no reason to change anything

http://www.softwarevouchers.com/vmware-workstation.html#aus

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

Buy it from the USA store if it is cheaper there... or find someone on Ebay selling it out of Hong Kong and you will probably get it even cheaper.

0 Kudos