VMware Communities
KRM
Contributor
Contributor

VNetworking with VMWARE 5.5 under WinXP Pro

My host system has got 2 ethernet cards, one attached to internal network 10.20.0.0 the other one attached to 172.16.0.0. Depending on the target address host applications use the correct interface.

Then I have 3 or 4 guests running under VMWARE 5.5 and I want only guest 1 (a Win 2K Pro) to be connected to the 10.20.0.0 network and all other guests (Win XP, Win 2K, Win 98) to be connected to the 172.16.0.0 network.

I tried to bridge VMNET2 to interface 1 and VMNET3 to i/f 2 as described in the manual. In guest 1 I configured 'user network' and VMNET2, in all other guests I configured VMNET3 as my 'user network'. Unfortunately this did not work properly. I've tried a few other configurations, but all my attempts failed. The best I could achieve so far was that guest 1 could PING i/f 1 of my host and guests 2 to 4 could PING i/f 2 of my host. PINGs to other network nodes did never complete.

Has anybody setup a similar configuration? Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

in theory, your bridging config is fine ...

can you post the output of ipconfig /All of your host , guest attached to vmnet2 and guest attached to vmnet3 ?

same goes for route print (so output of route print on the 3 same machines)

post the output of tracert "someip" where someip would be an unreachable host you've tried.

do the tracert on all the 3 same machines

with these infos we should be able to determine if your ip routing/config is correctly setup

0 Kudos