VMware Communities
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is disabled for this ESX VM

Hi Guys,

I am trying to build a test vCloud Environment using VMWare Workstation 8 on my laptop.  Firstly I downloaded ESX5.1 trial version:

VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.0.0-639890.iso

However when I then try to power on the VM to go through the installation process I get the error 'operating system not found' (as if the ISO is incorrect?).

It also says 'you will only be able to run 32-bit nested VMs', it then boots to PXE.

The processor on laptop is:  AMD phenom II n620 Dual Core.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded ISO to ensure that it is valid? In the virtual machine settings, does the CD/DVD device status have both connected and connect at power on options checked?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
OmerABM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Check the setting, Virtual Machine Settings > Processors > Virtualization Engine: Here change the Preferred Mode to Intel VT-x/EPT.

After the changes try to power on. Also good idea to check on the BIOS settings for Intel VT support enabled or disabled

Cheers,

Omer

haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Yeh ISO is valid. CD/DVD both checked, Use ISO file is pointing to the ISO I downloaded to local disk.

I went into Processor and ticked 'Virtualize intel VT-x/EPT' and also checked BIOS.

Rebooted and it is now going to PXE boot screen before coming up with 'No Operating System'.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sure anytime I have ever seen O/S not found it usually means that the ISO does not match up to the O/S that was selected?

0 Kudos
haverer
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, as I expected - had downloaded the wrong ISO! DOH!

Thanks for the replies! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos