VMware Communities
shneidr2168
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualized Intel VT -x/EPT not working on Pro 17 and GNS3

Hello, everyone.

So I am trying to get a GNS3 lab going and I am running into some issues with the below error. In my research I am seeing that Workstation does work with nested VM's due to HyperV not liking it.

shneidr2168_0-1708703249748.png

I have been working on this for a couple of days now and have not been able to get anywhere. I have followed instructions on how to disable HyperV and still not working.

Here is what I have done:

updated BIOS to enable virtualization
turned Hyper V off in Windows Features
verified Registry keys to turn off Hyper V
ran powershell cmd bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
followed the instructions in GNS3

I can get the VM to start up if I uncheck the setting in the machine settings and it turns on. I am trying to connect a GNS3 project to the VM but the KVM support is set to false, it needs to be true.

I have posted about this before here and I was able to get it to work somehow. I am trying to revisit it and haveing this issue again.

Re: Intel VT-x/EPT not supported Workstation 17Pro - VMware Technology Network VMTN

I am running Win 11 and am at a loss of what I need to do.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Have you verified that Hyper-V is really disabled by looking in the vmware.log file and checking that Monitor mode is being reported as CPL0?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what's ur cpu ?

0 Kudos
shneidr2168
Contributor
Contributor

Core i7-1370P

0 Kudos
shneidr2168
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like the monitor mode is showing ULM. How do I go about changing that?

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you're not planning to run nested VMs (VMs inside your VMWare VM), just disable the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" checkbox in VM Settings→CPU, and the message will go away; if you do plan to run nested VMs, you will have to disable Hyper-V on the host.....

check this please 

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Virtualized-Intel-VT-x-EPT-Error/td-p/28...

0 Kudos
mhb4ever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

or try this

turning on -  'Windows subsystem for Linux' feature ... from ... 'Turn Windows features on or off' & installing WSL 2 software.

0 Kudos
shneidr2168
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the information. I was able to get it to work by following the instructions in phase 3 of the following post.

Disabling Hyper-V hypervisor on Windows 11 Pro hos... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

0 Kudos