VMware Communities
gbeaudoin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do I do when Workstation 8.0.2 crash?

What do I do when VMware Workstation 8.0.2 crash with a odd message about collecting support data or running vm-support from the program file folder on my screen.

I've followed the message and ran vm-support but it gaves me a vmsupport-4-27-2012-11-26.zip file wiht a ton of log files inside it. That's it. Nothing else.

I think the message might be badly translated from English because I felt like that was something else supposed to happen.

What should I do next? Just ignore it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi gbeaudoin,

The zip file has useful logs for our technical support people to try to diagnose the problem.  It's normal for the vm-support script to simply leave the zip file on your desktop.  The crash message that first asked you to collect support data should have included instructions on how to open a Support Request and submit the zip file.

If you would like to seek technical support to figure out the cause of the crash, you can open a Support Request through the My VMware portal on this website, and provide the zip file there.  If there is nothing you consider private or confidential in the zip file, you can also attach that file directly to a reply here in the VMware Communities forums (just click "Browse..." when you are composing your reply) and we can have a quick look at it.

Whether you open a Support Request or post the logs here, you should try to describe what you were doing and what you observed at the time of the crash, what your host OS and guest OS (or OSes) are, and anything else that you think might be related to the problem.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
gbeaudoin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks you dariusd.

I was remotly connecter to our vcenter system using workstation when it crashed.

I've looked at the files and there is a lot of files and I don't want to share those publicly. I've tryed to open a request on our vsphere production sns contract but it looks like workstation isn't part of that sns package.

Hopefully, it won't happen again.

0 Kudos