VMware Communities
amaz1ngzz
Contributor
Contributor

When running 3D programs, the GPU utilization is very low, but the CPU utilization is high.

or the same 3D program, everything works fine when I use VM15.5 - CPU utilization is not high, and GPU has utilization. However, after upgrading to VM17, GPU utilization is almost non-existent, and CPU utilization is very high. This results in a performance decrease; previously, I could smoothly run four virtual machines, but now, even running two virtual machines causes lagging.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What's the host operating system and GPU in your hardware?

If it's a Windows system using an older GPU that doesn't support DX function level 11_1, you may need to look at https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/VMware-workstation-17-player-no-3D-suppo...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
amaz1ngzz
Contributor
Contributor

My hardware host is running Windows 10 21H2 with an i5-13400F CPU and a GTX 3090 graphics card. The virtual machine is installed with the same version of Windows 10, and I have not encountered the error prompts mentioned in the post you recommended.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

One other thought. Did you upgrade VMware Tools in the VM when you  upgraded Workstation?

What does dxdiag say for the capabilities of the host? Feature level 11_1 available?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos