VMware Communities
king2060
Contributor
Contributor

Why copying vms often breaks the network?

I have tried creating a virtual machine using Vmware workstation, installing Ubuntu 7.04 server edition and it is working fine with the bridged network settings. (I didn't installed the vmware tools since I am getting errors. Smiley Sad) The vm gets a new ip via DHCP and everything works fine. However, when I copied this vm to another machine, the only ip address shown from ifconfig is 127.0.0.1 and it can not find the correct NIC. Smiley Sad

I have experienced the same thing many times in the past when I downloaded some linux distro vm appliance. Smiley Sad Sometimes the network magically works. I am wondering whether there is a list of things that need to be done to make sure that when the vm is copied to another computer, the network will still work?

BTW: everytime I copy a vm, I always choose to create a new UUID.

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

My posting here should explain what happened.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=659897&#659897

0 Kudos
king2060
Contributor
Contributor

/etc/iftab shows: "eth0 mac 00:0c:29:69:be:e5 arp 1"

/etc/network/interfaces shows:

"auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp"

I can understand that udev might think it as a new network device, (I am not familiar with udev at all. Smiley Sad). And I could not find /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

Anyway, if this is the issue, how can I make this new eth0 work?

Thanks,

Bing

0 Kudos
king2060
Contributor
Contributor

Just found the solution.

1. run "ifconfig -a" and surprisingly there is a eth1 listed

2. write down the mac address listed under eth1

3. edit /etc/iftab and change the mac address in eth0 to the one written down in step2

4. reboot

Now it's working...

Original post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221768

0 Kudos
king2060
Contributor
Contributor

mark this thread as answered since I found the solution. \^_^

0 Kudos