VMware Communities
awasen
Contributor
Contributor

Why do I have to "Run as Administrator" all of a sudden?

Running VMWare WS 10.0.7 on Win10 64-bit and have done so for some time (about 5 months on a new laptop).

All of a sudden I started to get "Internal Error" as soon as I was going to Resume a paused image. I tried to old tricks to remove LCK stuff and get it started but then got the same error.

If I instead start VMware workstation as "Administrator" (=right-click and click "Run as Administrator") the images starts fine.

This has happened without any (to me) known update or change of the system.

Any clues?

Regards,

Anders

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jpsider
Expert
Expert

Maybe it was a Microsoft patch?

You should be able to update the shortcut to always start as administrator, or disable the UAC.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If one of the files in your Virtual Machine folder needs administrator access then you can get this type of error.

Running a VM with administrator credentials could get you in such a situation as the ownership of any of the files can be set to administrator only.

This depends on how your system is configured. Regaining ownership for your user to that folder -and all of its files- should fix it.

Note that if you run the VM "as administrator" that things like clipboard sharing stop working as Microsoft doesn't allow sharing of clipboard between different security contexts.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
awasen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I could do that but I shouldn't have to and haven't had to previously. I checked the Windows Updates but nothing new. I am however on a corporate network with a domain that has some policies so something might have changed there but still very odd that it simply says "Internal Error" when trying to start a VMware Image...

0 Kudos
awasen
Contributor
Contributor

I had a look at the directories where the VM's are stored but nothing special. I am a local admin on my laptop but can access the directories even as a regular user.

I could try and change ownership to a local user and see if that helps (currently my own local/admin group policy user is owner)

0 Kudos