VMware Communities
stonefishsoftwa
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Easy Install only giving Windows Server options

I've just downloaded the ISO for two different Windows 10 editions (the standard "Windows 10" and the European "Windows 10 N") using the MediaCreationTool on the following page: Windows 10

Edit: An additional piece of information which might be important is that I selected "English (United Kingdom)" in the Language dropdown first. This gave the additional "Windows 10 Home Single Language"... but as I specifically need the Pro edition, I did not select this.  I'm wondering whether selecting the different language (despite selecting "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 N" would have effected the download?

Using Workstation 12 Pro (12.0.1 build-3160714) on Windows 7 64-bit Profession I am trying to create a new Virtual Machine using the standard Wizard.

When I select either ISO using the "Installer disc image file (iso)" option I see the following displayed below the dropdown:  "Windows 10 x64 detected. This operating system will use Easy Install"

(Apologies for my old fashioned layout and colour schema)

VMware-W10-01.png

However, when I click "Next" I am presented with 4 "Windows Server 2012 R2" options... "Windows 10" is not an option, despite it being part of the title that says "This is used to install Windows 10 x64".

VMware-W10-02.png

What's going on?  Am I missing something obvious?

3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Happens sometime. Choose I will install the operating system later and choose Windows 10 x64 from the drop down in the next step.

Untitled.png

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

stonefishsoftwa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Abhilashhb... that's worked.

Although I'm now wondering what the "Easy Install" would have done for me.

And it still doesn't explain why I was only offered "Windows Server 2012 R2" options.

Ah well, the wonders of computing.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm quoting what workstation help says about Easy Install

"When the New Virtual Wizard detects an operating system that supports Easy Install, the wizard prompts you for information about the guest operating system. After the virtual machine is created, the guest operating system installation is automated and VMware Tools is installed."

You can click on the link which says What's this and it will give you more information.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos