VMware Communities
Bill617
Contributor
Contributor

Windows(10 and 11) Guests freeze after machine boots up

Hello everyone. I have been having an issue with Vmware Workstation Pro 17. I am unable to run Windows machines. Ubuntu server for example works fine but anything windows related keeps freezing during setup or if the guest is already setup freezes on the desktop a few moments after booting. I have looked it up but I haven't managed to find any solution that works. The host is a Windows 10 pro machine. Help would be appreciated.

Additional information:

On the guest's windows reliability monitor (if I manage to get to it before the computer freezes), I might get an unexpected crash report.

Sometimes VMware manages to shut down the guest and some other times I have to terminate the guest to close the session.

Some machine specs in case it is useful information:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Memory: 64GB DDR5

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

have a look the release notes https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17.5/rn/vmware-workstation-175-pro-release-notes/i.... You could try to exclude known issues in earlier releases or upgrade. There was a bsod usb issue fixed as example.

Do you use virtual hardware 21?

In addition, analyse or post the vmware.log of the vm.

0 Kudos
Bill617
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. I have taken a look at the release notes.

I believe the VMS hardware version is set to 21 based on the log: virtualHW.version = "21"

but the default hardware compatibility is set to workstation 17.5.x. in the settings

I will be attaching the vm log below. Hopefully it helps.

I will see if I can tweak some settings myself and maybe try to get it to work because I was not aware of some settings but now that I discovered now thanks to the log

0 Kudos